Thursday, October 15, 2009

Phenomenal Woman
by Maya Angelou
Pretty woman wonder where my secret lies,
I'm not cute or built to fit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies,
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips,
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
and to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
They swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees,
I say,
Its the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally,
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try to show them,
But they can't touch
My inner mystery,
When I try to show them,
They say they still can't see,
I say,
It's the arch of my back
The sun in my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style,
I'm a woman
Phenomenally,
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing,
I ought to make you proud
I say,
It's the click of my heals,
The bend of my hair,
The need for my care.
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally,
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment